Neither the complaints process nor the independent complaints Tribunal can pursue or award compensation to complainants. As a voluntary code of practice, the National Codes has no authority to determine claims for or compel members to provide compensation, with the exception of some prescribed payments in relation to new or refurbished buildings and late construction. Claims for compensation are legal matters which are typically resolved through court action or by negotiation between the landlord and tenant, and the National Codes cannot be involved in this process.

If a tenant feels they may be due compensation because they have suffered financial loss or inconvenience, and is considering court action, the tenant may wish to take legal advice. Most Student Unions have a legal advice service which can provide this, or they could approach the Citizens Advice Bureau. Alternatively they may wish to put their reasons and specific claims into a letter